This is one of my ALL TIME favorite recipes. I used to make it every Sunday until we finally needed a break… This recipe is easy, however, once the chicken hits the pan, everything moves fast from then on. Make sure to have everything prepared before you start cooking.
One thing I love about this recipe is how easy it is to crank up the heat. Not a spicy person? Take out a jalapeño. Love the spice? Add as many jalapeños as your heart desires…
Chicken Pad Thai
- 6 oz rice noodles I linked the ones I used (they come with their own directions)
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts chopped into small bite-sized pieces
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 5 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- ½ cup 1½-inch pieces scallion (white part only)
- 1-2 jalapeños, seeded and chopped if you can take the heat, leave the seeds in the chiles
- 2 small garlic cloves, finely minced
- ¼ cup basil leaves, minced
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- ¾ tsp red pepper flakes ½ tsp if you don't like spice
- Stir together well in a bowl, 1 tsp cornstarch and 1tsp toasted sesame oil
- Add the bite-sized chicken pieces to the cornstarch mixture and marinate for 15-20 minutes
- Stir together in a small bowl and set aside:2 tbsp Thai fish sauce2 tbsp soy sauce¼ cup fresh lime juice3 tbsp sugar
- Follow instructions on pad Thai noodles and begin to cook. Make sure to have them ready before you start cooking
- Heat a wok or large skillet over high heat until hot. Pour in 1 tbsp peanut oil. Swirl the oil around the pan until very hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and stir-fry until cooked, about 1-2 minutes. Drain the chicken in a colander, set aside.
- Reheat the pan and add in 2 tablespoons of peanut oil
- Swirl briefly then pour in the 3 well-beaten eggs and stir vigorously until set, ~30seconds. Remove to a plate
- Reheat the pan and add another 2 tablespoons.
- Swirl until very hot but not yet smoking. Add ½ cup of the pieces of scallion, 1-2 small jalapeños, and minced garlic cloves. Stir-fry until garlic is slightly browned, ~40 seconds
- Add the noodles and stir until well coated. Add the fish sauce mixture and stir well, the add the chicken and eggs, continue to stir.
- Stir in:¼ cup minced basil leaves¼ minced cilantro leaves¾ teaspoon red pepper flakes